Life Events - Dependent Death

Note: This information applies only to regular  and postdoctoral employees. If you are a graduate student, refer to the Grad Student Death of Dependent Web page.


In the event of a death of one of your dependents, please contact the campus Benefits Office.  They will ensure you have updated all of the necessary benefits.  Below are some of the benefits you should consider:


Employee Assistance Plan

For full-time employees eligible for Long Term Disability coverage, Sun Life offers an Employee Assistance Plan, designed to help employees through difficult, life-changing events. It is provided at no cost. 


Health, Dental, and Vision Plans
Should you need to remove a dependent and/or change health coverage as the result of a death, log on to Self Service ( If you are unable to use Self Service, you may submit a completed Benefits Enrollment Form and an HMO Enrollment Form (if applicable) if applicable to campus Benefits Office. 


If you need to enroll in an RF Heealth, Dental, or Vision Care plan as a result of the loss of coverage from your spouse's, or domestic partner's health plan, see Spouse Change in Benefits.


Dependent Life Insurance

In the event of the death of a covered dependent, you should contact your campus Benefits Office, which will provide assistance in the claims process.  


Beneficiary designation
Keeping beneficiary information current is important. The death of a dependent may prompt beneficiary updates to your retirement and life insurance benefit plans.


You may change your beneficiary designation at any time for your Basic and/or Optional Life Insurance Plans by logging on to Self Service ( If you are unable to use Self Service, you may complete a new Benefits Enrollment form and submit it to your campus Benefits Office.


To update your beneficiary for Basic and/or Optional Retirement Plans, please enter the TIAA-CREF Web site for RF Employees. Select 'Access My Account', log in, and select 'My Profile'.




A change in family status may lead to a change in federal and/or state withholding exemptions.  Contact your Payroll Department to change your withholding exemptions.



Financial planning

A major life event may trigger a change in your financial planning.  You may want to review your options with regard to the Optional Retirement Plan.

Regular Employee Benefits Enrollment Form

Postdoctoral Employee Benefits Enrollment Form


Copyright 2013 Research Foundation of SUNY