Under New York State Law, the RF provides insurance coverage to replace a portion of your income when you are unable to work because of an illness or injury that was not caused by your job. The RF pays the insurance cost for all employees and enrollment is automatic.
- After a seven calendar day waiting period, you receive 50 percent of your average salary for the eight weeks prior to disability, up to the maximum benefit established under the New York State Disability Benefits Law (currently $170 per week).
- You can receive benefits while you remain disabled, up to 26 weeks.
- Submit your medical claims to your health insurance plan.
- There is no waiting period if eligibility was established with a previous employer. If eligibility was not previously established, coverage begins:
- After 4 consecutive weeks of service for full-time employees
- After 25 regular work days for part-time employees
For more information, refer to the Statement of Rights, and New York State Disability Benefits.
File a Claim
If your disability absence will exceed seven calendar days, contact your campus benefits office to get the documents and information necessary to obtain disability income.
You and your physician should complete the documents and file them with your campus benefits office.